Saturday, November 24, 2012

Six Word Saturday

Changing my expectations of, well, everyone. 




I grew up as a Cosby Show family - board games at family get-togethers, feelings that my siblings could (and would) protect me from the cold, cold world. I had Norman Rockwell paintings etched into my subconscious as the standard by which families should be measured. Actually, that's not exactly true....it was just the yard stick I used for my own family. But as we grew up and as I gained an extended family of in-laws and as my older siblings developed subsections of our ever-expanding clan, I realized that we were coming up a little short of my Cosby-Rockwell expectations.

Or were we?

We never did see the Cosbys when Rudy was graduating from university or when Vanessa was about to turn 30 and had embrarked on her own journey of self-reflection.  Maybe she, too, had discovered that her family wasn't exactly what she expected.  If we had seen that, maybe she (and I) could've changed our expectations, popped an Advil for the growing pains and wrote a blog about it....

Oh yeah....I guess one of us just did.


4 comments:

  1. The Bible tells us that comparing ourselves among ourselves is not wise! But I know we all have expectations of ourselves and others...and we neither one live up to those expectations sometimes. (:>)

    I am thankful that God is a God of second changes...Yup...he is not finished with us yet. We are always growing and learning in this life! (:>)

    Happy Saturday!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family was somewhere between the Bunkers and the Sopranos. You lucked out. I had to devise my own moral / behavioral yardstick, never really had expectations for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no show on TV that would even come close to my families disfunction but I am thankful I broke the cycle and made a grand family for my children to know as their comfort zone/cheerers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well must say that I was raised like the brady bunch, and my husbands family is more like the bunkers

    come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete