Saturday, January 12, 2013

One hundred word challenge - any takers?

One hundred word challenge - any takers?
On this Six Word Saturday, I am using my 6 words to describe another counted activity. A friend of mine used to give me writing challenges to hone my skills....I thought I'd revisit one of them and pass on the activity: write any piece that is exactly 100 words long. That's it. If you accept the challenge, feel free to leave the link to your post in the comments, I'd love to come visit and take a read!!
--



"End" (100 words)

Once I could again breathe,
I didn't know whether to be angry or ashamed.
I had been hit with every name in the book
And both of his fists...
I'd been thrown into the wall, then onto the bed -
Last vision was him overhead
Before hands unclenched
(Just enough to fit my neck)
And then pressed down.
Time slowed.
He did not --
Holding my gaze
And my breath hostage.

And then it was over.

"I should go," he said,
Taking the stairs
And my pride.
But leaving the ring.

And then an hour later, he came back for that, too.
--

13 comments:

  1. You may be just another blogger, but this is not just another poem. Very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An arresting mini drama that closes a life phase with violence! Beautifully penned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the moment and for responding.

      Delete
  3. Well done!
    http://www.mcguffysreader.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are a good writer. Such sadness in this...but it pulls the reader right in to the middle of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I appreciate you taking the time time to feel and respond...

      Delete
  5. I love this idea, and it's inspired me to do something similar on my blog Equis Place tonight. Thank you so much for sharing this post with us. What an intense topic, full of sadness and heartache. No one should ever be treated that way. ~Xiomara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd been wondering what to write about next. Thanks for helping me get my latest post out "A Church Life: In 100 Words."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I'm glad the prompt was useful to you. I will be sure to drop by to read the post!

      Delete